Are you Insured.

Discuss Road and MTB clubs runs here

Are you Insured.

Postby JMOLL » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:49 am

INSURANCE: Its been raised a few times over the last few months and again this week. Our Club Chairman, Simon Hill, wrote the post below a few years ago and the points still apply today. I thought it might be useful for you all to see.

Fellow Lyme RC Members,

Since I've been asked a few times over the previous weeks about cycling insurance and third party liability (what's covered by being a club member? etc.), I thought I'd post a quick reminder to all.

The first thing to point out is that the Club Insurance (purchased through our affiliation to CTC) covers the club and does not cover individual members. :shock:

Lyme RC therefore highly recommends to all members that they purchase their own individual insurance to cover their specific riding activities. 8-)

This may be through membership organisations (such as CTC, British Cycling, etc.) who provide insurance as part of their membership packages, or through separate cover from an insurance company (e.g. personal sports insurance packages). Remember, liability insurance is there in case the worst happens - which none of us hopes will ever be the case. If you're riding without insurance then you are potentially risking a big claim if you are involved in an accident that causes injury or damage to another person. :oops:

Entry conditions for some events may request that you provide a membership number as proof of insurance, or sign up to a day membership to cover insurance (e.g. BC races, Audax events, etc.). You cannot use the Club affiliation or membership to cover your personal responsibilities for these events. :?
(The only exception to this is for our younger riders who are covered for British Schools Cycling Association events.)

For club runs (which must have been advertised on the club forum at least 1 day in advance of the agreed start time), the ride leader is covered by the Club's Insurance for any claims made against them. :)
The ride leader must be a fully paid up member of the club and they must be aware of all ride participants through a collection of names. The ride leader must notify a Club Official at the earliest opportunity of any incident(s) that occur, which may lead to a future claim against the ride leader or the Club. In addition, a club run must have no more than 5 guests or non-members present, and any individual guest must not participate in more than 5 club runs before deciding whether to join the club (or not).

These conditions are laid down in our policy and so are not up for discussion or debate. If anyone has any questions please let me know. :?
Sue Jones (our Membership Secretary - "Wellygirl" on the forum) also has further details on individual membership packages and insurance through CTC and British Cycling if you need them. :D

I hope this update is useful.
User avatar
Posts: 1921
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:16 am

Re: Are you Insured.

Postby nbassett » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:50 am

Hello John for BC membership with liability, members need to have either Ride, Race Silver or Race Gold membership.

A few members have a Bronze membership which does NOT have ANY liability insurance.


User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Are you Insured.

Postby GaryChat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 am

Hi all
My wife insisted I take private insurance "think she's after a payout" it's about £8 a month....,
My bike is covered in and accident and so is any incident I cause but be careful on the theft small print
You need to have a gold standard lock to claim and these way as much as your bike so the cafe stop locks are not covered
I no most members will no this but some may not
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:41 pm

Re: Are you Insured.

Postby JMOLL » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks Norman,

I have the Race Silver which i find great value for money and have it for TT use.

User avatar
Posts: 1921
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:16 am

Re: Are you Insured.

Postby gravelrash » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Not so long ago a novice on her first ride with a local club was involved in an accident with a car which was her fault. Unfortunately the car she collided with was a Bentley and a £2000 + bill for (minor paint) repairs landed in her lap, she was not insured and had to raise the funds to pay.

When I heard this and being a lapsed CTC member I looked around and found that British Cycling were offering £35 a year for their Ride membership which included a free £25 pump. Now its £37 PA & I just renew it by Direct Debit. When I contacted BC initially they recommended the Ride cover as I do not race. However I am not sure about the level of cover because I do some Audax and Sportive rides and may do the odd TT soon and Race Silver covers this and is only £6 dearer.

If any rider collides with a pedestrian or even another cyclist and serious injury occurs it cost a lot more that £2000 to settle.

I don't know what insurance cover the club provides for participant accidents on club runs but I know that BC is fairly comprehensive.

When you're going through (c)hell, keep going.
User avatar
Posts: 2396
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:13 am

Re: Are you Insured.

Postby Casper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 pm

just made myself a member of British Cycling,, using this code ''NEWCMRD'' plus 10% discount for paying by dd it cost me £16.45, this is for the ride membership , normal price £37
User avatar
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:42 am

Return to Club Runs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 0 guests