THREE MILE LANE CRASHES BY THE FARM ENTRANCE

Discuss Road and MTB clubs runs here

THREE MILE LANE CRASHES BY THE FARM ENTRANCE

Postby JMOLL » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:20 am

Hi all,

I understand that a Lyme cyclist had a fall last night on Three Mile Lane, opposite the farm entrance. We all know the one.

I've registered the incident with Staffordshire County Council Highways department.

If you have had an accident outside this farm due to the slippery road conditions can you post on here. I'm trying to get an idea if the number of accidents riders have had at this location.

Many thanks
JohnM
JMOLL

Re: THREE MILE LANE CRASHES BY THE FARM ENTRANCE

Postby Paul J » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Hi John , If you remember myself, Pat S and Katey B all came off there on a ride led by you. Paul J
Paul J

Postby JMOLL » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks Paul, I remember it well. Dave Young knows a cyclist and i think Neale P knows of one too. I'm sure there are more.

Thanks
JohnM
JMOLL

Postby gravelrash » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:20 pm

I fell off once a few years back and you tend to be very cautious afterwards. I ride to Eccleshall via Keele at least once or twice every week of the year and the sign at the side of the road saying "BEWARE MUD ON ROAD" is a contravention of the trades description act. It should read SH#T because mud is odourless.

I sent an email to Staffs Highways and then another and another without any response.

I tended to stop every time there was stuff on the road and take a photo but most of them been deleted now. I will however resume my vigil and post a pic on the forum should there be any droppings visible.

Neither the Highways or the farmer (unlike the cattle) give a S@#T so they will have to be reminded, All the farmer has to do is hose off the area (and put down some salt in Winter) but after all its only cyclists who come to grief. If a car aver skidded there and crashed it would receive wider coverage no doubt.

If you see it photo it and post it to the forum.

NP...
When you're going through (C)hell, keep going :!:
gravelrash

Postby JMOLL » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:18 am

Hi Neale,

I understand Lee Fletcher also came off here so I'll add you both to my list.

Regards
John
JMOLL

Postby Siggy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:50 pm

I work in Agriculture. Here is some guidance from Wright Hassall (I know, unbelievable name!) Solicitors...

Farmers (and other vehicle operatives such as construction companies) are legally obliged to clear up after themselves and are potentially liable for a range of offences. While there is a range of powers available to the police and highways department the primary powers fall under the Highways Act 1980:

Section 148 of the Highways Act 1980 makes it an offence to deposit mud etc. on the highway that would interrupt other users of the highway.
Section 149 of the Highways Act 1980 gives the highways authority the power to clean the road and recover its expenses from the person causing the obstruction.
Section 161 Highways Act 1980 “If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, deposits anything whatsoever on a highway in consequence of which a user of the highway is injured or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence”. Contravention of sections 148 and 162 can lead to a Level 3 fine of £1000 in the magistrate’s court. Furthermore if mud on the road leads to personal injury, damage to property, or any loss or inconvenience then the person responsible may be liable for damages. A conviction in the criminal court may be relied on in a claim for damages.
Slow and steady - it's the future!
Siggy

Postby JMOLL » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks Craig, very interesting info.

Cheers
Johnm
JMOLL

Postby MattOx » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:59 am

Paul J wrote:Hi John , If you remember myself, Pat S and Katey B all came off there on a ride led by you. Paul J

I witnessed this if you need collaboration of evidence, it was Saturday, 15 October 2016 ride to sugnall walled garden
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7754

Here is my strava for the ride as evidence of date and time, shows we stopped there for a bit as everyone picked themselves up, it was so slippy this was tricky: https://www.strava.com/activities/745226114
I remember John slidding downhill as he walked back to check on the casualties.

Less cow muck on country lanes, yet another reason to go vegan!
MattOx

Postby JMOLL » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 pm

hi All,

A quick update.

Highways have still not looked at this road, they are busy. I have told them we are not happy with this and they have sent a message to the inspector to say it is now urgent. A few stern words have been had online, and they have a record of our complaint.

I'll update you if anything else happens.

Cheers
JohnM
JMOLL

Postby JMOLL » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:42 am

Hi All, My contact with highways yesterday seemed to have had a reaction as they went and had a look at the road. See reply below, which is pretty rubbish tbh:

Highways Issue Inspected - Enquiry 4090737
Dear Mr John Mollart

This is an update to your enquiry dated 05/09/2017 in relation to THREE MILE LANE.

A highways inspector has now visited and assessed the site. The reported issue is not currently considered to be a risk to public safety and no works will be carried out at this stage.
However, the report will remain on our records and the location will be routinely inspected for any changes in the level of risk.

If anyone experiences a crash on this corner, can you let me know. I've also contacted a couple of other local clubs and they are asking their members if they have ever experienced any accidents.

Many thanks
JohnM
JMOLL

Return to Club Runs