David Young

Discuss general issues here: ie. Snow

David Young

Postby gravelrash » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Hello,

after a ride to Cotebrook Lakeside Cafe and heading back towards Nantwich David was wiped out by a "dangerous" driver who thought it was OK to overtake a cyclist then turn left in front.

The driver reckoned it was OK because she had left plenty of room in her wake. I was around 40 feet behind and when the car overtook me I more or less guessed what would happen and vainly shouted at David to watch out. It was a pretty awful thing to watch and he could easily have been killed.

Luckily for us we had an A&E nurse and undertaker ;)(he was au fait with the location and road numbers etc and he called the emergency services) at the scene. The police were called and arrived on the scene within 10 minutes.

Despite continual contact (emphasising the possibility of spinal injury, broken ribs and puncture lung in sub zero temperature) it took over an hour before David was taken to Leighton Hospital for treatment.

I would say that East Cheshire could possibly be one of the worst places to suffer an RTA if this is anything to go by.

Had it not been for his helmet which broke under impact, the outcome would have been much worse and for those choosing not to wear one, the situation would not only be traumatic for the rider but for anyone else at the scene.

He suffered a severe knock to his elbow and is pretty shaken and shocked by the incident but nothing too serious.

On a positive note the amount of assistance from passing motorists proves how people are prepared to help out and assist in such circumstances.

NP,,,
Last edited by gravelrash on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you're going through (c)hell, keep going.
gravelrash

Re: David Young

Postby AlanH » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Lets hope Dave makes a speedy recovery and as you say luckily he was wearing a helmet.

Thanks for letting us all know Neale.

Cheers
Alan
AlanH

Postby dillytanti » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi Dave,just read the item on your accident. Good to know your thick skin saved you a more serious injury. Trust the nurse is looking after you. Hope to see you soon fit and well.Dave C.
dillytanti

Postby JMOLL » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks Neale for the update on Dave's accident. I hope he recovers well soon.

Cheers
JohnM
JMOLL

Postby TeamYoung » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks to everyone who has passed on good wishes either on the Forum, by text, WhatsApp and Strava.

I am battered and bruised but it could have been much worse.

Wearing a helmet (that is now cracked open) definitely saved me from serious head injuries.

Regards

Dave Young
TeamYoung

Postby AlanH » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:28 am

Pleased your on the mend Dave and see you out soon with a new helmet!

Cheers
Alan
AlanH

Return to General